Holiday Beauty








I just got back from a very relaxing sojourn in the Victorian countryside. I have noticed something about myself when if comes to packing for such travels, and whether I am going for a beachy holiday (as I did this last August to Fiji you can see from the dreamy picture above) or to the country I am all about downsizing and simplifying.
When I am at home I have a plethora of options from skin care to body products from hair contraptions to makeup. I can get up and choose from 3 morning cleansers, a few day creams and which sunscreen do I want to apply today? Which foundation is most appropriate and what blush will go best with my gloss? I love that about being at home, but I don't want to be weighed down with so many options when I am meant to be chillin'!
However, I do find it monumentally hard to decide which of my pretties will be coming with me. I find it really tricky to decide what products will be the best and most versatile. When I went to Fiji it was all about getting that beachy relaxed "I put no effort in, but look great" look. Obviously it's not really a smart idea to be taking a pair of hair straighteners to the beach and I would be spending my time by the pool and in some form of water. So they were out, and in went the beach/salt spray (I love John Frieda Beach Blonde spray). I gathered up some mini sizes of shampoo and conditioner from Kevin Murphy and my hair was set!
As for makeup, again I was going to be spending a lot of time in the pool and beach, so I wasn't going to take a full face but I wanted to be able to amp it up if we went for dinner or cocktails. Tricky. I ended up going with Invisible Zinc Tinted Moisturiser (very high sun protection is a must for me!) a translucent powder (IZ is quite shiny!), a brown stay put eye liner that could double as brow colour (Jemma Kidd), brow gel, tube mascara (I too BECCA The Ultimate), creme blush that doubled as lip colour (BECCA Lip and Cheek creme in Tuberose) and a gel bronzer (Georgio Armani). I think I managed to keep my look relaxed but put together and I was very happy with my small but effective collection.
When it came to skin care I knew I had to be careful, my skin can get very sensitive when I comes in contact with salt water so I decided to be kind and not too minimal. I bought myself a travel pack of Ultraceuticals goodies and I was ready to roll and not over burdened with big suitcase filling bottles of product.
Going tot he country was slightly different. I was happy to take a few more options as I knew I would be wearing makeup daily and I didn't want to get bored (and I do easily). For makeup I took two creme blushes, (0ne pink and one peach) two lip colours (again one pink and one peach), illuminating bronzer, tinted moisturiser, neutral eye shadow, olive green eyeliner pencil, translucent powder, a brow kit, mascara and that was it! Easy!
I did take my straightener, but not a blow dryer as I shower at night and my hair would dry overnight. Not taking a hair dryer really frees up space!
As for skin care I just kept it simple and hydrating with non-foaming cleanser (Aesop Fabulous Face Cleanser), moisturiser (Ultraceuticals) and a sunscreen (again Ultraceuticals).
I have to say I feel very virtuous when I manage to keep my products minimal when I travel and it always feels good to come home and get stuck in to all the other stuff I left at home!

1 comment: